Moving can be stressful enough, but then add kids on top of that and it can seem like a personal nightmare. Of course you love your children, but with logistics to work out, boxes to pack and label and emotions to sort through, it becomes evident that your move will be anything but stress-free.
To help you keep calm and as stress free as possible, here is a list of tips to help when moving with kids.
1. Have a “family meeting”. Gather all of your kids in one place and share the news with them that you’ll be moving. Order their favorite food (pizza, anyone?), make the announcement and let them know that you’ll answer absolutely every question they have. Share your own feelings about the impending move and encourage them to do the same. Communication is key when making big life changes as a family!
2. Let them help you make the big decision. When looking at new houses or apartments, include your kids and ask for their opinions so they feel like they are a part of the decision making process when deciding on your new home.
3. Throw a “see you soon” party. Most kids biggest fear is that they will never see their friends again. Regardless if you are moving a neighborhood away or across the country, host a party before you leave to give your kids a chance to say good-bye and exchange addresses to keep in touch.
4. Let them pack a special bag. Moving with children can go a little more smoothly if you allow them to pack a special bag filled with their favorite things– things that would likely incite a tantrum if they were left behind. Your kids can bring their bags with them in the car, keeping them occupied and keeping you from panicking that you accidentally left a favorite toy behind.
5. Let them decorate their new rooms. All kids get excited when they get to decorate their room. Let your kids pick out the paint color for their bedroom (if you’re able to paint the walls), and maybe even allow them to choose new bedspreads. They’ll feel much more comfortable in the new home if they can put their own personal touch on their space.
6. Explore the new neighborhood. If you really want to have a stress-free moving experience, take your kids to their new neighborhood before moving day and explore the area together. Check out the best playgrounds, climbing trees and ice cream shops. Then, by the time you move, the new environment will feel a lot less scary and unfamiliar.
7. Visit their new school. If the big move has your kids changing schools, it’s normal for them to be a little nervous. Before their classes start, arrange a time for you to visit the school together and take a tour. That way they’ll know their way around the building on the first day and will be able to focus on making new friends rather than figuring out where the bathroom is.
Moving with kids doesn’t have to be a nightmare, follow these few helpful tips and your move will be a little less stressful. Whether you are moving to the house next door or across the country, Strongman Movers is here to help get you there.